The Amsler Grid is a useful tool to help ophthalmologists detect eye conditions affecting centre vision such as Macular Degeneration.
You can use this test to monitor your vision at home, however, it should not be used in place of a visual examination by your optometrists or ophthalmologist.
How to use the Grid:
- Download and open the Amsler grid (click on picture or button above)
- Sit 40 cm away from the screen
- Keep your progressive lenses or glasses for distance on
- Cover your left/right eye with your hand
- Concentrate on the central dot on the grid
- Answer the following questions:
- Do any of the lines appear blurry, wavy or distorted in any sense?
- Do the boxes in the grid appear to be the same size?
- Are there any missing areas or dark areas in the grid?
- Can you still see all corners of the grid while focusing on the central dot?
- Repeat this process while covering the other eye
If you notice any discrepancies, please report them to your optometrist or ophthalmologist. You can print off the grid and mark the areas where you see any variances and bring it with you to your appointment. You may contact us here if you have any questions.
Here is an informative video about the Amsler grid and how it is used.